Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Got a maltise rescued 3 years old teeth are loose can they

Customer Question

Got a maltise rescued 3 years old teeth are loose can they be saved
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning - I'm Dr. Sara. Thanks for sending in your question and congratulations on the adoption of your new friend!

Maltese are notorious for having severe dental disease. Once a tooth is loose there is no way to save it - it is infected and beyond our help. The best thing to do with loose teeth is to have the extracted. This eliminates the infection in the bone around those tooth roots as well as alleviates the pain and discomfort that abscessed teeth can cause. She will feel so much better once all of these loose teeth have been properly addressed :)

The best way to prevent the need for future extractions is to provide preventive care like brushing, chews, or water or food additives. Brushing is best, ***** *****'s also the most difficult. In our practice we have great confidence in a product called Perio Support Powder made by Vetriscience. It is a powder that goes on the food each day to help prevent tartar accumulation. Another newer product that looks interesting are Merial's OraVet chews.

The first step is to have her examined by a veterinarian and have the disease in her mouth addressed properly, which will likely require anesthesia for a full oral exam, maybe dental X-rays, and likely some extractions.

Thank you for adopting a pet! Follow your vet's advice on proper dental care and Molly will be in great hands :)

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?
Doc Sara