Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I am frustrated because my dog won't out of her food bowl

Customer Question

I am frustrated because my dog won't out of her food bowl and seems genuinely terrified of it. I've tried different bowls to no avail
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bertha. How long ago did it happen that the bowl fell and crashed?

What was that bowl made of? Have you tried bowls made of something different? If her bowl that crashed was metal, have you tried paper or ceramic or plastic bowls?

Have you tried a flat dish or paper plate, something not bowl shaped?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Will she take food from the floor? If her bowl is metal, and changing to a nonmetal bowl or a flat dish or plate does not help, and she is frighten by all types and shapes of bowls and plates then I would try "desensitization". I would feed her on the floor, if she will take food that way, with her bowl in the room nearby. If she eats without fear, I would each day move the bowl an inch or two closer to where she is eating. If she gets nervous about the bowl getting close, back it off to a comfortable distance for a few days, and then try to move it closer again.

Each day the bowl gets closer until she is willing to eat with it next to her. This might take some time, and some patience. When she gets to that point, then try putting a little food in the bowl, and a little outside it. Then gradually, less and less food outside the bowl, and more and more in it.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Desensitization usually will work, if you are patient and slow, and learn to back off when she shows signs of nervousness.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.