Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I am flying tomorrow with by 30pd (Aprox) Boston terrier

Customer Question

I am flying tomorrow with by 30pd (Aprox) Boston terrier for the first time on a two hour flight. Would 10mg of valium keep him calm? Will his ears pop? He's three years old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.

Valium is one of the drugs that we often script out for pets that are traveling. The dose is 0.25-0.5mgs per pound of body weight so 7.5-15mgs for Murphy. Now there is always a possibility that he could have the reverse effect as he did with the Benadryl. If you want to use this what you could do is try giving it tonight to see how he reacts. I am going to give you a site that goes over the use of, precautions for and dosing on this drug in dogs LINK

Will his ears pop? This is a question that we can only assume the answer to since our ears tend to pop when flying. I have never see this be a problem or cause any significant amount of stress for pets that are flying.

I hope this helps give you some direction. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that justanswer is notified that your concerns have been addressed and I am compensated for assisting you today.

Candy