Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was chewing on a ghlighter. and sees a little

Customer Question

my dog was chewing on a highlighter. and sees a little agotated>is it toxic?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am r. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Highlighter ink is not toxic. Therefore, we'd not assume this would cause any serious issue for Chestnut as long as she didn't eat any of the plastic from the highlighter. That said, if she has ingested quite a bit, then it could cause her stomach upset. So, in that case, we'd just want to monitor, rinse her mouth out with cool water, offer a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese) to dilute the ink, +/- treat with an antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)) But otherwise, we'd expect no long term issue from this and for her to settle within 24 hours.

Normal
0

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )