Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 27 lb Shellie just ate 25 mg diphenhydramine Hcl. Help!

Customer Question

Good morning
My 27 lb Shellie just ate 25 mg diphenhydramine Hcl.
Help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Actually, Diphenhydramine is a drug that we commonly use in dogs, so this is not toxic. And the dose you have listed is 0.9mg/lb for Charlie's size; which is a normal dose for a dog. So, this is not toxic and we'd not expect any harm from this. It is possible that he may have a bit of drowsiness or GI upset but nothing more then that. Therefore, we could intervene and induce vomiting (which I am happy to discuss) but it is not necessary and we'd expect no issue here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. He is an anxious dog, and no change in his personality as of yet. I am so glad it is not toxic.
Will monitor.
Wanda
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, Wanda.

As I noted, we may not see any signs at all (since they can safely have even double that dose), but we'd just want to keep a general eye on him today. :)

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.