Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 88 LB dog ate a 1/4 of a Decon block..bluish .. I

Customer Question

My 88 LB dog ate a 1/4 of a Decon block..bluish green.. I immediately induced vomiting with peroxide. I think we got it all. Do I still need to worry?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very glad to hear that you acted fast and got the rat bait back up quickly. Now since we cannot see into the stomach and since this is such a risky toxin (since it works to prevent blood from clotting), I do think it'd be best to follow your peroxide treatment with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, wetend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs for 24 hours. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce any further intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we'd need to either think about speaking to the local vet about dispensing Vitamin K1 or seeking an OTC preparation as this will counter any effects from this poison. You can read more about Vitamin K1 use with rat bait poisoning and its dosing @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/vitamin-k1-veta-k1/

Alternative, you can choose to monitor your lass (ie checking that her gums stay pink, her breathing stays normal, and that she have no sudden bleeds) for the next few weeks to ensure she doesn't have any issues from this or even have her vet check her clotting abilities via blood sample.

Overall, you did righ here to induce vomiting and its great that you got most if not all out of her system. Still, I would use the above to err on the side of caution since this is so toxic and potentially dangerous when our dogs eat it. And it is much easier to treat with prevention then have to address any of the toxin's effects should they arise.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Liz Scheel. How is everything going?
nekovet