Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My shih tzu/poodle mix dog had a swollen eye earlier today.

Customer Question

Hello Jane. My shih tzu/poodle mix dog had a swollen eye earlier today. I can home from work and I noticed blood on his fur below the eye. I got a wet napkin to dry the blood. Can you please help me find out what may be wrong with him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Rocco's eye should have been discussed promptly. Please let me know if you still need help. It's unclear to me which part of his eye is swollen and without seeing his eye I can't know the source of the blood. Ideally, the eye should be seen by his vet at your earliest convenience if only because eyes can "go south" in a hurry. If that's not possible, please upload a close-up photo of his eye to our conversation which you can do by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.