How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17834
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ingested sugarless gum about three weeks ago -- we

Customer Question

My dog ingested sugarless gum about three weeks ago -- we immediately got her to the vet -- they induced vomit and monitored her for 24 hours -- her last blood work was good but last night she started not acting like herself and this morning was lethargic and just acting funny. Her poop was good and she did eat her breakfast. Could this still be a problem with the gum?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. At this point in time, her current behavior shouldn't be due to the ingestion of the sugarless gum. With sugarless gum that has xylitol in it, it can cause two separate problems - 1) A drop in the blood glucose levels and this typically is in the first hours to a day or so. 2) Liver damage that can happen in the days following. If her last blood work was a few days after the ingestion or longer and it didn't have any changes in the liver values, then it would seem extremely unlikely to be related to how she is acting at this time. Why is she currently lethargic and acting funny? That is something that is very open. Could it be another medical issue? Could it be an environmental one? It is good that she ate her breakfast and her stools were normal. I would be curious to see if she has any increase in respiratory rate / effort, if she starts to vomit, if she acts painful, if she's got pale gums, if she's progressively eating less, etc.. If these are developing, then getting her evaluated would be a very good idea.