Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our 2 year old German Shepherd was diagnosed with Kennel

Customer Question

Our 2 year old German Shepherd was diagnosed with Kennel Cough 2 weeks ago. She was placed on Doxycycline last Friday. She isn't getting any better. If anything, she's getting worse. We've tried everything to help her. She's been to the vet 3 times. Last night she coughed almost the entire night. I'm at my wits end.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Since the doxycycline is not working, what else has been tried? Has she had a chest Xray? Is she on a cough suppressant? Has another antibiotic been tried?

Normally doxycycline takes care of kennel cough, and the cough starts to improve in a few days to a week. Since she is worse, the first thing I would do is a chest Xray to look at her heart and lungs. I would try another antibiotic and a cough suppressant. If that still does not help, I would do a flush of her trachea and airways, to get a sample of the mucus in her airways, to look at under the microscope, and do a culture to find out what "bug" she has and what antibiotic is best to treat it.

Has any of this been tried already?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had a chest xray and blood work. All came back normal. She is running a slight temperature. They put her on benedryl and robitusson dm (children's) No other anitbiotics have been tried
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information Since an Xray has been done, if she were mine, I would consider trying another antibiotic, and/or the tracheal wash test to get a culture of the mucus in her airways.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I might also test her for canine influenza, depending on where you live.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

That is a virus, so no antibiotic will help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Has she been tested for heartworm, or is she taking heartworm preventative?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but I cannot do phone calls for the website. I can only continue in this format. I can opt out and you can wait for an expert who can do phone calls, or we can continue in this format.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else, or if you want me to opt out for another expert.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your German Shepherd doing?