Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My ten year old female Lhasa is losing her hair. Can this be

Customer Question

My ten year old female Lhasa is losing her hair. Can this be treated and restored?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's also developed a few black-bean-size and shaped growths on her back and a pea-sized one newfound one ear. Thank you:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Scoobie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I have an 11 year old Vallhund and she was almost completely bald and now has all her hair back. So Scoobie might be able to be treated, but it depends on why she is losing her hair.

I am sorry that I can't make phone calls for the website; I can only answer in this format. Is that alright with you? If not, I can opt out and you can wait for an expert who can make calls.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

There are many reasons for a dog to lose hair: hormone imbalances like hypothyroidism and Cushing's disease; a skin condition called Alopecia X (what my dog has); skin infections and allergies and autoimmune diseases. The treatment is different, depending on what she has.

I would start with blood tests to see if she is low thyroid or has Cushing's. If so, treating with thyroid supplement or treating the Cushing's should restore her hair. If the blood tests are normal (like they were for my dog), a skin biopsy should tell you why she is losing her hair.

My dog has a fairly rare condition called Alopecia X. Most dog with this condition regrow hair if given melatonin, a hormone supplement available over the counter. It did not work for my dog, however. The next thing I tried is a supplement called flax seed oil with lignans (the key is the lignans) and within a month I could see new hair growing, and now 6 months later she has all her hair back!

You could try melatonin or flax seed oil with lignans; they are both available over the counter, but they won't help if she is hypothryoid, or has autoimmune disease, so I would have some blood tests done first.

The growths on her back could be benign or could be cancer. Since they are black, they could be melanomas. The only way to tell is to have a fine needle biopsy done in your vet's office, or to have them removed and biopsied.

Let me know if this helps, and what else I can answer or help with. I am sorry I can't do a phone call, but I really liked your question since my own beautiful dog was going bald and I wanted to let you know there is hope!