Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog licks the air. He only does this when he is excited.

Customer Question

My dog licks the air. He only does this when he is excited. How do I get him to quit as it is really annoying?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

How often is Wiz fed?

Has he ever been on antibiotics?

Does he have any trembling or head shakes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wiz is fed twice a day.
Has never been on antibiotics.
He has not trembling.
When he is licking air he is shaking his head around. Like I said, he only does it when he is really excited, like when we have company.

Thanks for the additional information. I asked what might have seemed to be strange questions because licking the air like this

could be a sign that your dog has nausea or a problem with anemia, a liver issue, or even a seizure problem.

A dental issue can cause a dog to lick excessively as well though you usually see drooling with dental issues. Partial seizure activity can manifest as licking. However, in some cases, licking is just an attention getting behavior or a way of dealing with anxiety. Some dog also have obsessive compulsive disorder.

In this particular case, it may be his way of dealling with the anxiety related to people visiting or as you put it excitement. Hi excitement might get the stomach contents shurning and thus bring on a touch of nausea which in turn leads to the licking behavior. I can suggest a few things that may help. One would be adding a probiotic to his diet which will help with his gastrointestinal tract and digestion which in turn should help with any excess bile he might have in the stomach. More frequent meals might also help keep down excess bile in the stomach as well. Read about dosages and usage information here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Pepcid works best if given about a half hour before visitors come. Another thing that might help with an anxiety issue would be a DAP collar. DAP collars use a phermone much like the one a mother emits to calm her nursing pups. DaA{ collars have been proven to help with anxiety issues.

Over excitement can lead to seizure activity in dogs and boxers are prone to epilepsy, so this might be a factor as well. With a focal seizure, your dog may not collapse or shake uncontrollably. With a focal seizure, a dog may lick the air and have repetitive movements. They generally do not last long though there may be some after effects. Read more on seizures here:

http://rrcus.org/rhodesianridgebackhealth/Documents-PDFs/EpilepsyandyourDog.pdf

If the suggestions I gave concerning more frequent feeding, dap collar and pepcid don't seem to help, you might have to have him seen by your vet for testing to rule out other causes such as seizures.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what to say at this point. I will not know if anything works till I try it. Will get back with you after I try what you recommend.

That's fine. Just be aware that it might indeed be seizure activity triggered by excitement.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Wiz. How is everything going?

I'm following up to find out how things are going and to see if my answer was helpful to you. If it was, please take this opportunity to rate me positively.