Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog broke open a hot shot mattrax roach bait and licked

Customer Question

My dog broke open a hot shot mattrax roach bait and licked out the entire contents. The dog weighs approximately 12 pounds. I do not think he ate any of the plastic. Should I take him to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he ingest this?

Can you tell me what the active ingredient is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ingested about 30 minutes ago. The primary ingredient is chlorpryifos. He seems fine. No hyper salivating or vomiting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also just ate his entire bowl of food.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I was just reviewing the chemical for you and I have to note that this is a potentially harmful one for Oreo. As you noted, it can cause those signs of nausea and GI upset but also can potentially affect the nervous system causing agitation, then slowing of the heart/breathing rates, low blood pressure.tremors, collapse, seizures, and respiratory paralysis. And just to note while I am glad he is fine just now, we can see delayed onset of signs as long as 2 hours. So, there is some risk here still.

Now provided he is mentally aware and not collapsed, it would be best to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe,turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken,boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this drug can be quite toxic for dogs and the dose that can cause signs is quite small. So, this is a risk for a small dog. Therefore, it'd be ideal to use the above now to prevent any risk. Otherwise, if we did see signs from this, we'd need to get him to his vet for IV fluids and the antidote to counter those heart/breathing rate effects (Atropine).

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Oreo. How is everything going?
nekovet