petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog went in routine teeth cleaning. s BUN level was about

Customer Question

Good morning - My dog went in for a routine teeth cleaning. His BUN level was about 5 points higher than normal but his creatine was fine. My dog is 3 years old. His vet is recommending 2 weeks of sub q fluids daily. This sounds like overkill to me. Please let me know your opinion. Thank you!
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Jack today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Was this a preanesthetic blood test result?

Was a urine sample checked at that time as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning - yes, this was preanesthetic. They did not do a urine sample.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, for the delay.

I am typing a reply now.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

I do think that this sounds like a little much in that we do not know he even has any kidney issues at all. It is impossible to diagnose kidney disease without checking a urine sample to look at how well the kidneys are concentrating the urine.

One of the first things that happens as kidneys start to lose some of their functional ability is that it will stop concentrating the urine and the urine will become more dilute (more like water). This is a gradual process and is not noticeable usually to an owner. The test called a specific gravity will measure this.

The second thing that happens is that the kidney is no longer filtering out the naturally made "toxins" that are made as protein is broken down. This will result in an increase in substances found in the blood, specifically called the blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine. Other things can raise the BUN and creatinine, such as dehydration, but the urine would be expected to be concentrated then if it still had the ability to do that. If you can document an elevated BUN/creatinine in conjunction with a less concentrated urine, that is the first signs of kidney disease. In an otherwise healthy young dog such as Jack, it is very possible that the elevation in BUN was due to hemoconcentration. If a urine sample is checked and he is adequately concentrating his urine (above 1.030), he was most likely a little underhydrated when the blood was drawn.

I hope that makes sense.

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!!!!
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome and I hope it is identified to be nothing to worry about.