petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 12 year old siberian husky has a very large growth on s

Customer Question

My 12 year old siberian husky has a very large growth on his back a month ago his vet wanted $1200 to remove and biopsy, he removed a benign tumor from his tail a year ago, because I didn't have the money he gave me antibiotics and antiseptic cleanser after shaving down his coat in the area ( lower back) appeared nicked as before with prior tumor removal coat was damaged and took a year to grow back. After signs of improvement it is now smelly and oozing, he also rough plays with my other dog, his behavior and appetite has not changed, and I still cannot afford to have it removed and it is hideous even with the hair growing back. Is there any course of treatment I can take?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the recommended course of treatment besides finding another veterinarian?
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.

I am sorry to have to tell you but there is no other treatment to remove or even decrease the size of an oozing tumor on his back. Regardless of if it is benign or more serious, many tumors, when they reach a large enough size will rupture and once that occurs, they will often become a big mess due to infection and bleeding. About all you can do is as you have been by keeping the hair trimmed short to avoid matting and moist dermatitis and to continue with an antiseptic cleanser to flush and clean the mass. Short of surgery, there really are no other options.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z