Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I just took my shih tzu puppy to the vet. I recorded my

Customer Question

I just took my shih tzu puppy to the vet. I recorded my puppys rear right foot randomly sliding underneath her tummy and she collapses in the rear part of her body and trys to pull her self along with her front two paws. She often starts walking or curling up like a u shape before the leg goes. Xrays show no issue with spine, hips or knees
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it hurts her because she keeps flipping around to bite at her hind quarters when it happens. She is walking more and more in the U shape as well. The Vet was confused and showed the video to 3 other vets and none of them had an idea. The puppy is 5 months old and has had all of her shots now. Take a look at the video clip to see the issue https://youtu.be/Lis3JhIAD9M The vet gave her Metacam 1.5MG once a day to take for 10 days to see if it will help.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the video. There are two main considerations. The first is that a lesion has been missed in her X-rays. I want a specialist veterinary radiologist to review the films. Most of us have such a specialist available and there's often no - or minimal - cost to you to have this done. I'm principally interested in subtle changes in Suki's spinal column which would be congenital (present at birth). These changes might require MRI, however, to identify. Yes, she's sporadically painful and when both hind legs become paretic (weak), myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) should be considered. An intermittent compression ("pinching") of her spinal cord should be suspected.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the Radiologist said everything came back looking good they are not seeing anything

Thank you for the additional information. The next diagnostic of choice is MRI.