Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a pit mix. She has round scaly patches on her back

Customer Question

I have a pit bull mix. She has round scaly patches on her back starting just below the neck all the way to her tail. She doesn't scratch to much though. I've notice she does love to roll on her back in the grass when outside. Any ideas? I also have another pit, that does not have any skin problems but does have ear irritations quite often.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

Do you know about how long those patches have been there?

Does she chew at her feet at all?

Does it seem to get worse in the warm weather?

Do those spots seem itchy?

What food/treats is she getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesn't chew at her feet and I changed dog food awhile back. I've attached a couple of pics for your review. Thanks
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information and for the awesome picture of her back.

From the picture of the 'moth-eaten' look to her coat, and your description of how it feels/looks close up, I suspect you might be dealing with something called pyoderma.

Pyoderma is just a fancy way of saying that there's a bacterial infection going on in the skin there. There's a great webpage that goes into detail on treatment options here: http://www.dermatologyforanimals.com/faq-39/

If this were my girl, I'd give your regular vet a call in the morning when they open (you absolutely do not need to rush to an emergency vet or anything for this) and have them take a peek. They'll likely want to do a skin scraping...which involves taking the edge of a scalpel blade and scraping off the top layer of skin and then looking at it under a microscope to determine exactly what kind of infection is going on.

Then they'll send out the right medication.....likely both a topical and oral antibiotic...to get it cleared up.

I hope this helps