Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I hope you are well, I have a sharpei and she has currently

Customer Question

hi Christine I hope you are well, I have a sharpei and she has currently got what i can only see is s case of cutaneous mucinosis. i had a sharpei 4 years ago who had a sever bad case of it so i know it can heal on its own but i wondered if you had any advice for me maybe how to help it heal without admitting drugs to her. it doesnt seem to bother her but it weeps alot.
hope you can help and thank you for you time so far
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Shar Pei. It appears Christine is not available; can I be of help? I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. If you prefer to wait for Christine, I will opt out.

Sometimes this condition does get better on its own, but I saw some cases in my researching your question where it got worse.

Antibiotics won't help, if this is cutaneous mucinosis. In the research I did on Veterinary Information Network, using steroids seems to be the preferred treatment by specialists like dermatologists.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

It is recommended to check these dogs for hypothyroidism; sometimes that contributes to this condition, and treating for the hypothryoidism would help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If there are just a few lesions, you can try gently applying topical cortisone in spray or ointment. I have been searching for an alternative to steroids, but apparently steroids are needed to block the production of the mucin buildup.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you are seeing this! Would you like me to opt out so you can wait for Christine?