Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My cocker spaniel seems to be going blind. At times it's

Customer Question

Hi there. My cocker spaniel seems to be going blind . At times it's very bad and then other times she can look out the window and see cars neighbours etc.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Can you tell me why you think your dog is going blind since your vet didn't find anything?

Does it seem worse in lower light conditions such as at night?

Has imaging been done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i may not have explained the situation correctly to you. I brought Lexi to vet and he confirmed that she was going blind but could not find anything wrong with her eyes. He said they ( eyes) were very healthy and her blood sample results were very good. No sign of any type of infection in her eyes. She still has some sight because she can look out front window of house and see me arriving home and follow me as i walk into house but her side vision is very very poor. Im bringing her to a specialist tomorrow to have her looked at but i would be grateful for any help you could give me as this little girl is our world and we are in bits with what has happened to her and will do everything we can to fix her .Regards,

Ray,

Cocker spaniels are prone to Progressive Retinal Atrophy. There are a few types of PRA and you can read about two seen in cocker spaniels on the following site:

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/health.htm

You can read about blindness in dogs here:

http://www.reachoutrescue.org/info/display?PageID=11145

There are other degenerative diseases of the eye but PRA is a common cause of blindness. Optic neuritis might be a possibility as well. The opthamologist should be ablle to readily diagnose if PRA is the cause.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/optic-neuritis-in-dogs

I would be prepared for her blindness to progress pretty quickly and start thinking of ways to make it easier for her to get around the house including not leaving things out of place.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

I'm following up to find out how things are going and to see if my answer was helpful to you. If it was, please take this opportunity to rate me positively.