Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog is walking really slow and sleeping a lot. She has

Customer Question

My dog is walking really slow and sleeping a lot. She has had a bad back before - she's missing a rib. She's eating ok, but I can't figure out what's wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long has she been acting this way?

Any possibility of injury at all?

Does she now, or has she ever, had tick exposure?

When she had her bad back before, did she act a little like this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 3 days.I don't think she's been exposed to ticks.She did act like this but she's not crying when I pick her up.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

If you press gently along her back, does she show pain anywhere?

Has she been eating/drinking normally?

Has she been urinating/defecating normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, she really doesn't show pain.All her daily functions have been normal.She's just sleeping a lot and walking very slowly
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So this is one of those cases where I'm sort of torn about telling you what to do.

Part of me wants to tell you to go ahead and just monitor her since she's stable and it's hard to pinpoint what is going on with her.

But the other part of me knows that she has a history of previous back injury, and she is walking slower and acting more lethargic than normal, which can be a sign of back pain.

Because it's been going on for a couple days, I do think that the best thing to do is to at least give your vet a call in the morning and see if they feel like they need to see her, or if they'd feel comfortable sending out some medications...pain meds and possibly a steroid....to see if that helps the symptoms she's having to resolve.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have her old prescription, could I get that refilled?Do you think it's anything worse than back pain?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

You could absolutely ask them about refilling it. I think that's completely reasonable.

Also, it's hard to say if it's anything more serious...symptoms that are really vague are hard to pinpoint, but since she does have a history of bad back and is showing signs that would point to that possibility, that's where I'd start.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bitsy. How is everything going?
Lisa