Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My dog seems to have an infection in her gums where her back

Customer Question

my dog seems to have an infection in her gums where her back teeth are. What do you suggest for treatment?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

I am assuming you are seeing redness (gum inflammation) as well as dental calculus (brown/yellow deposit on teeth). What you are seeing is periodontal disease which is the most common inflammatory / infectious disease in dogs and cats; over 85% of dogs and cats have periodontal disease after the age of 2 years.

The infection starts as a result of food / saliva accumulating on teeth / gums; bacteria invades and invisible film called plaque forms; if this is not brushed off within about 48 hrs, it becomes calculus (or tartar), which can no longer be brushed off. The body responds to the infection with inflammation of the gums.

The only treatment is a professional dental cleaning to remove the calculus which harbors infection. Periodontal disease involves bone loss and if sufficient bone has been lost, teeth will become loose and will need to be removed. The goal of preventive care (yearly dental cleanings and at home care, such as brushing) is to prevent inflammation and tooth loss (which can be painful).

I would schedule an appointment with your veterinarian for a professional dental cleaning and evaluation; once this is done, they will recommend at home care, but look at http://www.vohc.org for some information.

Hope this helps!

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Money. How is everything going?
Dr. Gene