Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Joan, I have a 8 year old beagle coon hound mix. story. He

Customer Question

Hi Joan,
I have a 8 year old beagle coon hound mix. Long story. He was have issues with one of his anal glands not expressing. It eventually got infected so I took him in and the vet gave him a antibiotic which helped a bit but they recommended we inject or impact the gland with antibiotics and have it cleaned real well.
Well one week after that my dog was shaking and throwing up so I took him in and they said he was fine. Well bot***** *****ne the gland became worse then where we started. It is now impacted, infected, the size of a golf ball and won't drain.
I took him to my old vet and they suggested to remove the glands. In the meantime, he is on antibiotics, rimadayl and something for his stomach for nausea. I am also using warm packs for swelling. Surgery can't be scheduled for a couple weeks and I wanted to see if Preparation H might also relieve him? Also if something could help I could avoid spending $2500 dollars on surgery which is already scheduled. Please help?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No answer??? Please give me a refund
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for requesting me. I have.been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Canine health. Perparation H will not do too much for the area to help shrink the anal gland, if the area is raw you can use some Vitamin E or Neosporin to soothe the area. What will help will be adding a Tablesspoon of pure canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to aid with the stool passing easier. Hard stools can add to the trauma when passing stool. The most helpful thing would be for you to apply a warm compress to the area. If you have antibacterial soap in the house (Hibitane or chlorhexidene soap would be ideal) you can add a little to a cup of warm water. Put a washcloth in, then wring it out. Hold the warm, damp wash cloth to the swollen area for 10 minutes, rewarming it every 2 minutes or so. Wipe the area with a plain wet washcloth and pat dry.

Please let me know if you have further questions that I have not addressed by hitting reply. If I have answered your questions, Please take a moment to rate my service positive.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I too so long, I just signed on and saw your request and answering took me a few mins.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I want to check in to see if you have further concerns and if the information was helpful. Unfortunately we are limited with an anal gland impaction. The Canned Pumpkin should help with allowing the stool to pass more easily and take the pressure off the glands.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?
Joan