Morgan Burger
Morgan Burger,
Experience:  Veterinarian, Associate at Hillside Veterinary Assoc
25346469

I was walking the dog and suddenly y he is limping on s back

Customer Question

i was walking the dog and suddenly y he is limping on his back leg. after investigating i find it is a nerve similar to a human in his hind quarter. if i press it he lifts it. So I feels its a pinched nerve... What are my options??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Morgan Burger replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian. I hope I can help you and Keko.

Typically when I see patients with acute lameness of a rear limb I am concerned with orthopedic issues. Sometimes it can be a condition called patellar luxation where the knee cap does not stay in the groove of the knee and/or I see cranial cruciate ligament ruptures. Both of these conditions would need to be ruled out before a nerve issue could be diagnose. A physical exam with specific palpation of the knee by a trained veterinarian and radiographs of the knees might be indicated based on that exam.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I stated in my initial comments his legs are fine. He didn't fall he had no injury. If I press in the area of his back or buttock I get a nerve response. It is NOT his Knee cap or his cruciate ligament. I really was hoping for a yes he can have an aspirin for a few days and see if it works it self out or maybe a chiropractor.. But I really don't think this relates to my question. Thanks

Conservative treatment would include strict rest and confinement-- no jumping, running etc and a non steroidal inflammatory. The most common OTC used medications are Aspirin and ibuprofen most often and one dose only. Usually 10mg/kg ibuprofen and up to 20mg/kg aspirin. More than one dose of either can cause GI ulcerations and serious complications. If clinical signs continue thereafter I recommend an exam with a veterinarian. Please let me know if I can help any further.

Hi Lori,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Keko. How is everything going?
Morgan Burger