Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate some rat poison. we induced vomiting. It is

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Bruce, my dog ate some green rat poison. we induced vomiting. It is Sunday night so we will run to cvs to find Vitamin K. what strength should we use until we get her to the vet in the morning?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If you managed to induce vomiting within one hour of ingestion of the rat poison then the chances are that everything will be OK. But giving Vitamin K on top of that is always a wise precaution.

2. Because of the concentrations involved you would be best have your vet give at least an initial dose by injection tomorrow. But in the meantime you can give it orally but make sure it is vitamin K1 only. The dosage can range from 0.25 - 5 mg per kg of your dog's bodyweight divided into 2-3 doses a day for 2-3 weeks in this sort of situation.

3. There is no real toxic dose for vitamin K in the dog as it is a water soluble vitamin, so you can safely give large amounts above and beyond what I have outlined above without it causing your dog any problem.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that helps! FYI cannot find vitamin K anywhere at CVS. Will be at the vet first thing in the a.m. She vomited about 4 times and is now resting soundly-running in her sleep actually!

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

It is very encouraging that she has vomited and is sleeping normally!, so it should be very safe to wait until your vet opens tomorrow for the Vit. K

However I should be available online for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott