Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have been to vet twice in the last two weeks. Our German

Customer Question

We have been to vet twice in the last two weeks. Our German Sheperd is very sick. The vet has taken x-Rays of stomach and spine and done blood work both visits. He's not eating, has trouble getting up, diarrhea, blood shot eyes and lays around all day. She put him on antibiotics and Rimadyl first visit. The second time we took him off those and he's taking prednisone. I couldn't even get him to take it today because he won't eat. He will get up to go out but I have to cheer him on to force him to get up in so much pain. Help we don't know what to do! The vet says he's a big question mark because his blood work and c-Rays look normal.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been to vet twice in the last two...
We have been to vet twice in the last two weeks. Our German Shepherd is very sick. The vet has taken x-Rays of stomach and spine and done blood work both visits. He's not eating, has trouble getting up, diarrhea, blood shot eyes and lays around all day. He was put on antibiotics and Rimadyl first visit. The second time we took him off those and he's taking prednisone. I couldn't even get him to take it today because he won't eat. He will get up to go out but I have to cheer him on to force him to get up. He crys in pain. Help we don't know what to do! His blood work and x-rays all look normal. The only thing found was calcium deposits on lung but he isn't coughing.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a copy of his most recent test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
"Calcium deposits on lung" needs to be clarified. His X-rays should be reviewed by a specialist veterinary radiologist whom most of us use to help interpret our X-rays. Is Rutro febrile? Where do you live; in particular, should tick-borne diseases be considered where you live? Has testing for tick-borne diseases been performed? Which antibiotic(s) was prescribed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I took Rutro back to vet on August 24. They started him on IVs on Monday. We decided on exploratory surgery on Tuesday. They called us while operating on him. His kidney was very enlarged and a plum color. He also had nodules of something in both kidneys and fatty tissue. They informed us that even if they woke him up we would still have a very sick dog that would suffer and eventually die. Rutro's bed was my son's bottom bunk. We are heartbroken and mourning the loss of our goofball. Our household will never be the same. We never did figure out what this was. He was only 6 years old and this came on so quick. In a matter of 2 &1/2 weeks we lost our dog.
My condolences for your loss of Rutro. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.