Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My 7 Yr old male miniature dapple dachund has been pacing

Customer Question

Hi. my 7 Yr old male miniature dapple dachund has been pacing and circling and cannot seem to get comfortable. We woke up this morning to a donut shaped bloody smear on the carpet and inspected him, but couldn't find any blood or injury anywhere on him..the only thing i noticed was that the spot right on top of the tip of his nose was pink, almost like it is chaffed. i don't know if i should take him to the vet immediately or if i should wait? i probed him all over to see if he was in pain, but he didn't seem to be? Please help!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm sorry for this concern for Salvador.
I can understand why you might be worried about bloat but this particular condition is extremely uncommon in this breed. And, typically dogs with this condition will have a distended abdomen and will be quite uncomfortable when you palpate them there.
I'm not certain how the blood may be related although the source might be his anal glands if you can't localize any specific wounds or injuries.
When noses are injured, they typically bleed quite a lot so this area of his body seems less likely to me to be the source.
1. As to his pacing and circling and inability to get comfortable, I always worry about disc compression of the spine when this breed behaves this way. You may already know that Dachshunds are the breed in which this problem occurs the most frequently.
Even if you can't localize pain to his spine, this could be the problem. If so, then waiting is not advised for these patients in most cases.
2. Anal gland issues can cause pain/discomfort for some dogs especially for the smaller ones. You might take a peek under his tail to see if there's any swelling around his anal opening at the 4 and 7 o'clock positions. I wouldn't advise that you perform a rectal on him to check whether his glands are full or not unless you feel very comfortable with doing so.
I can talk you through the procedure or the following link also demonstrates the process: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625
3. Of course, any other sources of pain such as abdominal gas can also cause discomfort of the sort he's showing. Anti-gas products such as Gas-X, Phazyme, Little Tummies can be given with the dose about 1/4th of what we would take.
It's difficult to assess the emergency of this situation since his problem could be fairly innocuous or potentially a little more serious but he's clearly uncomfortable. In addition to the medications mentioned above, if he's not taking any steroids or nsaid medication (and isn't vomiting), then he could be given Aspirin at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.
My only hesitation about its use is that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe but one or two doses should be fine.
This drug has anti-pain as well as anti-inflammatory properties which may be of benefit for him.
I hope this helps to at least reassure you about him bloating (that he's not likely to be) and provides several possible explanations for his behavior. Deb