Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a small tea cup chihuahua 10+ He started throwing it

Customer Question

I have a small tea cup chihuahua 10+ He started throwing it up. He fell on his back and he seemed to have froze, and gone stiff.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How long did he remain stiff?

Is he on any medications normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 7 seconds, and he's not on any medication.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

After the episodes, did he seem dazed or confused?

When was the last time he ate before this happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He got back up and attempted to walk and he seemed a little weak, yes he was dazed. I'm not sure when he had last ate. B
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It sounds very much to me like he may have had a seizure.

Normally when we think of seizures, we think of the grand mal type, where the whole body spasms and the dog loses consciousness. However, there is another kind, called a petite mal where only one muscle group is affected or the dog exhibits some kind of strange behavior. I suspect this is what is going on with your dog.

The cause of these kinds of seizures can be anything from ingestion of a toxin to low blood sugar (you could try rubbing a little Karo or pancake syrup on his gums to help rectify this if it's the issue) to some kind of organic brain disease or organ disease. Obviously, there's no way to know for sure which is going on with your dog without being able to see him.

Unfortunately often the cause of the seizure isn't found. They call that a "seizure of unknown eitology", which essentially means that yes, the dog had a seizure, but we don't really know why.

Sometimes a seizure can be a one time only episode and no further treatment is needed. However, if he shows this kind of symptom again, you'll need to have him evaluated by a vet. If the seizures continue, they may offer to refer you to a neurologist for more in depth testins. If this does happen and you have a video feature on your cellphone or digital camera, you may want to videotape that episode so that your vet can see exactly what is going on with him. Unfortunately, seizures are one of the hardest things to diagnose since there are so many possible causes, but having a video of the episode will help your vet a great deal.

I hope this helps.