Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Wow... Thank you here. I just noticed little Ceasar's right

Customer Question

Wow... Thank you for being here. I just noticed little Ceasar's right eye seems to have a part time side drift. He is 16 maybe 15, and lost his best friend little buffy a few weeks ago. This really seemed to weaken him. He considered her his mate I think. He's been weakening the last few years and has that little white dog periodic tremor. Probably first started occaisional tremors 3-5 years ago, and progressively got worse. But I see no signs of pain.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Little Ceasar, is half Maltese, and half Bichon most of his life around 13lbs. I think he might be down around 10 now. II know my little buddy is fading, but if I can give him any more quality time, I want to do it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yeah, ba d teeth probably caused a constant flow of bacteria through his system for years. He had his only surgery this spring removing a growth that seemed to start with his left sent gland. The vet/surgeon wanted to make sure he could handle it and ran tests. He said he felt confident, & if it was his little guy he'd do it. I did it, and I think it went nearly perfect. He bounced back good. But since his little girlfriend passed, I think he's really weakened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Little Ceasar has never been a big eater. He's always stayed in shape with a slightly tucked belly. After his girlfriend passed, his appetite dropped by about half. He's getting pretty frail, but doesn't look like a starving dog "YET"...
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. The "part time side drift" of Ceasar's right eye is called strabismus which is typically caused by lesions restricting extraocular muscle mobility or affecting their innervation. At Ceasar's age a tumor involving his cranial nerves III, IV, and/or VI should be considered.
To know if there's palliative care of worth for him you'll need to have his vet recheck the surgical and distant sites for recurrence of tumor - anal sac glands are most often malignant and will metastasize - and repeat blood/urine tests. I understand that this kind of involved testing may not be appropriate at his age and so spoiling him rotten and providing good hospice care in the form of a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol might well be the most appropriate manner in which to proceed.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.