Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I think my dog has a UTI. Her bathroom habits have changed

Customer Question

Hi, I think my dog has a UTI. Her bathroom habits have changed in the crate recently. She used to always go on the pad, but recently she's been covering it in different ways.I thought this was behavioral issues as I changed my schedule recently and she is no longer on heartworm treatment... However, she just left some drops on the carpet a few minutes after getting out of the crate. She is a 9lb Chihuahua mix-6 years old. Possibly heartworm positive-shelter said she was negative, my vet says she's still positive but could get anitbodies...retesting in a couple months. I gave her a small amount of cranberry concentrate, but couldn't cut the pill into 1/8. I want to try fish-mox until I can get my dog to the vet. I don't know what dosage and if it is less than 250 mg...is there a practical way to divide/dillute the med strength? How long should I give it to her? Is it possible to get a prescription for Amoxicillian? My vet is closed until Monday.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Is she on any medications at all?

Did she seem to know that she was leaving drops behind her?

Have you noticed if she seems to be urinating mostly on her bed?

Have you noticed an in crease in the amount she's drinking at all?

Have you noticed any blood or odd odor to her urine?