Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Yorkie pup 6 months old sore on back crusted over its the

Customer Question

yorkie pup 6 months old sore on back crusted over its the size of a quarter been there over 2 weeks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

Did the vet do any testing on that area to find out exactly what it is?

What is the name of the cream they gave you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ferns Vet Ointment
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Did you mean Derma-Vet ointment?

Did they think that it was ringworm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't think so can I send picture
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely....there should be a spot to attach a photo on your end.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is what I meant
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

So, you haven't mentioned if your vet did any testing on that spot...specifically if there was a skin scraping done. This is what happens when they take the edge of a scalpel blade and scrape off the top layer of skin in that area and look at it under a microscope to determine whether there's a fungal infection like ringworm, or if there's something bacterial going on.

From the description of it being crusty and about the size of the quarter, I strongly suspect that we're dealing with a ringworm issue...and unfortunately, they can take quite some time to heal, especially when the ointment that you're using is bogged down with other ingredients, such as antibiotics.

If this were me, I'd give your vet a call Monday morning (this is definitely NOT something that requires you take him in to the emergency vet or anything) and request that they do a skin scraping, just to see for sure if this is ringworm. I suspect it is...then they can send out an anti-fungal medication to get it cleared up.

I hope this elps.