Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is very allergic to putrescentiae.she is on a raw

Customer Question

my dog is very allergic to putrescentiae.she is on a raw food diet entirely.we have bird feeders could it be that when she eats discarded birdfood she is getting the mites or what else do you suggest
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Tyrophagus putrescentiae can be very difficult to avoid. It's a common pest of stored products, especially those with a high protein and fat content such as the seed in bird feeders as well as meats, cheese, nuts, and dried eggs. The ingredients of her raw food diet need to be thoroughly sanitized with food-grade sanitizers and she mustn't have access to the discarded bird food. In such a patient, highly processed dog food might be safer than the raw food as it's likely to be less highly contaminated with this mite.
Is Wenna currently undergoing desensitization therapy - either sublingual or by injection? Has her vet discussed the use of the new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib which is likely to revolutionize how we address atopic (allergic to environmental allergens such as those mites) dogs?