Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

MY dog twisted her nail somehow so it is pointing out to the

Customer Question

MY dog twisted her nail somehow so it is pointing out to the side. Will this nail in time fall off
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 5 year old Lab girl Stella who has managed to twist her nail! This (as you can probably imagine) is actually very painful for dogs. While the nail will eventually fall off (it would likely take several weeks), it would be very painful in the meantime, and the nail bed beneath the twisted nail has a high chance of becoming infected.

The best way forward here in these cases is to have the nail removed quickly and painlessly by your local vet with Stella under a mild sedation. This will lead to the best outcome, as the area beneath the nail can then be cleaned, an antibiotic cream applied if necessary, and the paw bandaged for a few days. She can also then be sent home with some pain relief (anti inflammatory drugs) to make sure this isn't painful. This will be a relatively quick visit to the vet, so nothing major by any means, however it is always best to have this bit of twisted nail removed to ensure the area doesn't become infected, to ensure it isn't painful for your girl, and to ensure she doesn't cause further damage by getting the twisted bit of nail caught somewhere else.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would check in quickly to see how Stella is doing? Did you get a chance to take her along to your vet to have the nail removed?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E