Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Our dog has a huge back yard to play in and doggie doors to

Customer Question

Our dog has a huge back yard to play in and doggie doors to go in and out of the house. Yet she digs out under the fence and escapes, and if she is locked in the house she chews on the door casings
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
This does pose a problem. However, it is fixable. You have a few different options that will solve this problem. I have found a good method of keeping a dog from digging under a fence. You purchase chicken wire and attach one edge to the fence at the bottom with staples if wood and ties if chainlink. You then bend it so the chicken wire lies on the ground around the perimeter. You can bury it with a thin layer of dirt or let the grass grow through it. Either way, a dog does not like the feel of the chicken wire on his nails and is unable to dig out.
A more practical and nicer looking solution in my opinion is installing an electric wire around the perimeter of the property similar to what they use for horses and cows but a much smaller voltage. They make plastic holders for the wire that attach to chain link. You can run one close to the top of the fence if a dog is jumping over and / or one about 6 inches or so from the bottom. One controller should power both wires. They do shock, but I can assure you that it is not a bad shock as I personally touched it and got shocked before I would allow it to be used for my rotties. It only took my dogs getting shocked once each to learn to stay away from the wire. My dogs would pull the chain link off the bottom rail of their kennel and fencing too. I used this and it solved the problem.. The following site has the main unit though the next site sells complete kits. Lowes and tractor supply stores sell these as should any feed type store. You may have to search again as the site sometimes loses the search criteria.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/zareba-reg-above-ground-electric-fence-kit-for-pets-and-small-animals-1026397
http://www.nextag.com/electric-pet-fence/search-html
Of course you could also use shock collars and underground fence systems as well which would be a third option. These are pretty inexpensive if purchased second hand on an auction site.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

HI, I'm writing to find out how things are going and to see if you found my answer helpful?