Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Sure, my dog has a hard penis and the "lipstick" is slightly

Customer Question

Sure, my dog has a hard penis and the "lipstick" is slightly exposed.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

How long has this been going on? Have you tried anything yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not much is going on. His penis is hard, the sheath is sticking out a bit, he is licking it and a little fluid is coming out. I think he may just be excited- but he is neutered so I thought it was weird.
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

It is still normal for a dog to get an erection when they are neutered. The only time it is a problem is when it stays out for more than 10 minutes and seems like it won't go back in. In those cases, sometimes the prepuce has folded inward and the fur prevents it from going back in. If that is the case, you can take some lubricant (KY Jelly, astroglide, vaseline, etc) and lubricate the penis and try to gently pull the prepuce forward and over it. If you are not successful, see a veterinarian.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Simon. How is everything going?
Ann M.