Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog (Chihuahua) has been throwing up during the night. I

Customer Question

My dog (Chihuahua) has been throwing up during the night. I gave her a platedful of garlic chicken. Her nose is cold and wet and she just drank a large amount of water. She even tried to eat a bit of her puke I missed. I think I should not have given her the chinese. Will she be ok?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears thatg she also threw up everything she ate.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much garlic was on the chicken?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Any diarrhea or black stool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SHE DRANK HALF A BOWL OF WATER AND KEPT IT DOWN. JUST DRANK SOME MORE.
GUMS ARE GOOD.
BELLY GOOD
IT WAS GARLIC CHICKEN FROM CHINESE TAKEOUT.
SHE IS TIRED AND DIGGING HER WAY UNDER THE QUILT TO SLEEP (HER VERY COMMON MOLE TRAIT)
LOOKS A BIT LISTLESS BUT UNDERSTANDABLE SINCE SHE WAS UP ALL NIGHT
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now we do need to keep a close eye on her with this. Garlic is toxic to dogs. Now usually the amount used in these kinds of dishes is small but even small amounts will cause GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, etc) as you have seen with Lucy. Otherwise, just to note, high doses of garlic could also cause anemia (rupture of the red blood cells). With that, it can be delayed in onset, so we will need to watch her for the next week that her gums stay pink and that she doesn't have any lethargy or breathing issues.
Otherwise, at this stage, we do tend to use supportive care to offset that GI upset. If she can keep water down, then you can consider treating her with an antacid to settle her stomach. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Further to this, we can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet for the next few day. If you do so, start with a small volume (a spoonful) to start. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her tummy stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the GI upset is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Overall, Lucy's signs will be due to the garlic she has had. At this point, our main focus of treatment here will be to monitor her but also start the above supportive care to reduce her GI upset. While doing this, we need to keep an eye on gum color and her activity. And any change to that at all, then we'd need to consider getting her local vet involved.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SHE ONLY PUKED A COUPLE TIMES AND ITS BEEN AT LEAST 2 HOURS SINCE.
SHE IS SLEEPING GOOD RIGHT NOW.
HER POOP WAS NORMAL COLOR AND NO DIARRHEA AT ALL
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I am glad that she isn't vomiting profusely and has settled. Still, we need to keep a close eye on her. And if you see any more GI upset when she is next awake, then we'd want to use the above for her.
All the best, *****
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )