Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 15mo old pomeranian had an anal gland rupture last Friday

Customer Question

My 15mo old pomeranian had an anal gland rupture last Friday night. I cleaned w/peroxide, put on antibiotic, and planned to go to vet Saturday but was unable to find one so I soaked his rear in Epsom Salt bath 2x/day for a few days. Some say prevent scab, but one did form ~3 days after rupture. He's always been in good spirits, energetic, and no sign of systemic infection. Question is: is the gland still blocked, will it just abscess/rupture again...can we test to see if duct is cleared or just wait?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
If the gland has ruptured, then it will have drained and will not longer be impacted or blocked. That said, we do need to make sure that the cause of rupture (infection or inflamed ductal tissue) is addressed. If we don't then we can see this recur once the gland has healed. Therefore, if you have him on an antibiotic do make sure he is having a proper course for 7-10 days to stamp out any infection here.
Otherwise, we do tend to treat these dogs with dog specific anti-inflammatory medication (ie Rimadyl, Previcox, Metacam, or Onsior) to reduce any inflammation that may be blocking the duct quicker. Otherwise, it is a case of monitoring and keeping an eye out for recurrence since trying to express the gland now would not be advisable as it would just cause him pain and possibly inflame the duct more.
Overall, your supportive care sounds good so far. So, we'd want to keep it up, allow the tissue to heal (so scabs should not be removed) and cover your bases with at least an antibiotic to try to clear any infection and prevent recurrence.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )