Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. How long ago did these pills get eaten?
OK, thanks for the reply. I suspect that any effects from the Pseudoephedrine (the "-D") part of the medication, would be visible by now.
Generally, a larger dog is going to be less sensitive to the effects, and you might not see any adverse effects, but as you mentioned earlier, the things to watch for include elevated heart rate, shaking, trembling, restlessness, etc.
the toxic dose for pseudoephedrine is believed to be around 3mg per kilogram of body weight (or about 1.5 mg per pound). That means that a 120 pound dog would have to ingest about 180 mg of pseudoephedrine before we'd expect to see problems.
My research is showing me that each tablet has 240mg, giving a total of 480mg ingested, which should be high enough to cause adverse effects,
So there is a chance that you still may see some problems. I would say that another 4 hours of close observation is recommended, and if problems occur, veterinary attention is recommended.