Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 120 pound GSD ate two Allegra-D tablets.

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. How long ago did these pills get eaten?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost 2 hours ago.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for the reply. I suspect that any effects from the Pseudoephedrine (the "-D") part of the medication, would be visible by now.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Generally, a larger dog is going to be less sensitive to the effects, and you might not see any adverse effects, but as you mentioned earlier, the things to watch for include elevated heart rate, shaking, trembling, restlessness, etc.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

the toxic dose for pseudoephedrine is believed to be around 3mg per kilogram of body weight (or about 1.5 mg per pound). That means that a 120 pound dog would have to ingest about 180 mg of pseudoephedrine before we'd expect to see problems.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

My research is showing me that each tablet has 240mg, giving a total of 480mg ingested, which should be high enough to cause adverse effects,

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

So there is a chance that you still may see some problems. I would say that another 4 hours of close observation is recommended, and if problems occur, veterinary attention is recommended.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought him to the emergency vet.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Probably a good choice given the dose ingested. Let me know if I can of further assistance.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cassandra Powers,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kaiser. How is everything going?
Dr. Drew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes-he's doing well. We have a follow-up appointment tomorrow. Thank you.