Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Please help me. my dog is 11 from a shelter very afraid of

Customer Question

please help me. my dog is 11 from a shelter very afraid of everything. she is getting old her appetite is still good she is a little testy but i noticed the hair insider her ears is brown, as well as the hair around her anus no smell every once in a while she discharges a small amount of blood when she urinates. she is slowing down, i don't want to leave her any more. my vet is very nice, when will i know if it is time to put her down. i have seen a big change in her but now i blame the hot weather. and why is she turning black not gray.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it wrong to wish that you dog could just expire in her sleep. and i am 62 back problems i do not want any more dogs, and i want to move some apts don't take dogs. my 11 years with samantha have been great, but how do i handle when she will have to be put down i did it once before and i was a mess. thank you
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
Darkening of the skin is often the result of yeast dermatitis. In the ears this can be due to an ear infection though you often see scratching of the ears if this is an active infection. Allergies can lead to redness of the ears and a yeast dermatitis. I do see you have used benadryl, so yeast could very well be the cause of the ear discoloration. Recurring ear infections can also lead to darkening of the skin and thus it looks like the hair is discolored as well. Discharge from the ears can also cause a discoloration of the fur.
Another cause for discoloration is a dog's saliva and tears. It contains an enzyme that does discolor fur causing it to turn brown then dark almost to black. So if she is licking the rectal area, that might lead to the discoloration. Discoloration might also be due to anal gland seepage especially if you used to take her to the groomer and now do the grooming yourself. Often groomers empty the anal glands. If she was used to that emptying of the glands and now they are not emptied regularly, then might seep and lead to discoloration.
You might use a little miconazole cream on the ears which should help control any yeast dermatitis and help with itching if it is present. This cream can be used on other places as well.
What does concern me is the bleeding when urinating. This might indicate a Urinary tract infection though there are other reasons for blood in the urine.. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. You don't indicate any other symptoms that might point to a UTI.
Blood in the urine can be caused urinary stones, Cystitis, Kidney Disease, Bladder Cancer, or Urinary Bacterial Infections.
Urinary Stones are common and found in the kidneys, bladder and urethra though usually they are in the bladder. The formation of crystals or stones in urinary tract can be caused by the following factors usually working together: mineral crystals in the urine, bacteria, diseases, some medications, excess Vitamin C, imbalance in pH of urine. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination of small amounts and blood in the urine. Some breeds are known to have problems with stones. These are Miniature Schnauzer, Schnauzer, Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Miniature poodle, and Yorkshire terrier.
Cystitis is when your dog's bladder becomes inflamed. It is believed that infections, polyps, tumors and stones contribute to this condition, but the actual cause is unclear. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination, straining to urinate, difficulty urinating and blood in the urine.
Kidney Disease is a common cause of non-accidental death in dogs. It is not clear what causes kidney disease but it is believed that dehydration, blood loss, impaired heart function, tumors, infections and toxins contribute to it. Some medications for kidney disease may cause blood in the urine.
Bladder cancer occurs in middle-aged and older dogs. Bladder cancer is not as common as other causes such as Urinary tract infections, though it is not recognized early for that same reason. Typical symptoms are frequent urination, urinating small amounts, blood in the urine, and infections.
Since she is elderly and has blood after urination, she really needs a vet visit. They now have mobile vets that will come to you and often this is a real plus for dogs that don't travel well. You can usually find one on the following site by checking house calls and putting your zip code in.
http://www.vetlocator.com/advancedsearch.php
As for knowing when euthanasia is necessary, we like to use the following criteria. When a dog no longer has more than one thing they enjoy or even your touch can not ease the pain they are in, then it is likely time for the owner to give them the gift of a painless passing on. It is hard, I know, for the owner. I've been there many times and it really is never easy, but at least you can be there at their passing and know they are no longer suffering or scared anymore.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

I'm following up to see if you found my response helpful.