Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 11 year old greyhound suddenly lost all coordination in

Customer Question

My 11 year old greyhound suddenly lost all coordination in her hind quarters this morning. She was breathing heavily and saliva was dripping out of her mouth. She vomited some gelatinous fluid. It has been a couple of hours and she is resting quietly, but she has not stood up. What can you tell me about her condition?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about sweet ERica's condition....I know this is scary..
There are a few possibilities for this condition. The most common cause for this would be a stroke which is a clot that is blocking off the nerve supply to her rear legs causing this and the vomiting and hypersalivation. It also may be that her arthritis in her hips has grown so that this is blocking the nerve supply to her rear legs causing this and the hypersalivation and heavy breathing is due to pain or discomfort.
Since Erica is older and a stroke could be very serious, I would strongly recommend that you take her directly to your vet for an exam. If this is due to arthritis, there are home remedies I could tell you but I fear that this will waste precious time when the stroke, if this is the cause could be treated.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Miles,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Erica. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta