Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog is limping on her back left leg. She is a 3 year old

Customer Question

my dog is limping on her back left leg. She is a 3 year old rescue and has been shot with a pellet gun in her past life. We did a joint tap yesterday and the fluids are good byt a small amount of blood came out. The next step would be employs surgery. I am concern about the surgery . A friend recommend Noni
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Do you know what kind of surgery they're considering?

Do they think it's a torn CCL?

Is she otherwise healthy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is very healthy and they are considering exploring surgery nothing is sais about a torn ccl? This has been going on for several months. Some blood came out when they did the Tap Joint also injected Deop- Medrol in the joint
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Did they do any x-rays?

Did they mention if they checked for a 'drawer' movement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to both
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Okay...great. Thanks for that information. I just have one more question.....

What are your concerns about the surgery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
surgery on her leg and the down time for her
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's honestly hard to know for sure what her downtime is going to be like because we don't know for sure what they're going to do to that leg.

If this were something like a CCL repair...then her realistic down time would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 weeks, give or take...it would only be about the first 2-4 weeks where she had to be really rested and contained, and then the rest of the weeks, she'd just be limited...but it's definitely possible they're going to get into that joint and not find anything significant, which would mean that there won't be much down time at all.