Christian K.
Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My 9 month old French bulldog was having diarrhea and

Customer Question

My 9 month old French bulldog was having diarrhea and vomiting excessively so I took her to ER vet. They did blood work and gave her fluids. When I got home she tried to poop and all watery blood came out of her bottom, quite a bit but very watery
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Were there any abnormalities on her blood work? When did this happen? Has she had her vaccines?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing abnormal and yes she's had all vaccines
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This all happend tonight

It is not uncommon for an upset stomach to lead to blood in the stool and sometimes it can be very alarming. In most cases it is still treatable with fluids and medications. However, there is a condition called Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) that can occur in some dogs with bloody stool (we don't know why it occurs) that can cause shock and be very dangerous. Aggressive fluids and treatment, especially in the early stages, can be very successful for treating HGE. My concern is that she will worsen through the night and HGE will be a concern. I'd recommend calling the ER vet again and tell them what you saw. Since they just saw Rosie they can tell you whether they think she needs to go back in or not. The symptoms of HGE are vomiting, blood in the stool and lethargy. If you have more questions please reply back.