Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a three year old 40lb. Mix mutt female who is spayed.

Customer Question

I have a three year old 40lb. Mix mutt female who is spayed. About three months ago, she had an infected cyst on her front leg elbow, and after a round of antibiotics and steroids, it went down. And she seems fine. But ever since she's had these symmetrical swollen somethings in her lower abdomen where her inner thighs and belly meet. I chalked it up to the infection and after math in the lymph nodes, but they still feel hard and enlarged. Should I be worried? She's also always itchy, but no fleas, and breaks out in rashes in her armpits a lot. She eats taste of the wild and gets regular exercise, and has no lack of energy. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Peanut. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If she has had these swellings for 3 months, I would find out what they are. If she were my own dog, I would do FNA, fine needle aspiration of the swellings. That involves putting a small needle into them, and then squirting the contents of the needle onto a glass slide, to be examined under a microscope. These could be lymph nodes, infection, fat pads, and since she is young they probably are not serious, but that is the best way to find out what they are and if any treatment is needed.

They could be enlarged lymph nodes, related to her itch/allergy/rash. You can apply a topical steroid to a rash, like Cortaid or Cortizone 10. You can give Benadryl for itching, one milligram per pound of body weight ( 25 mg per 25 pounds) 2 to 3 times daily.

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca