Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog got into the trash and ate bologna and now the

Customer Question

my dog got into the trash and ate bologna and now the plastic from around the edges is half out of his rectum. he is a 6 lb chihuahua and I am very worried about him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

When did he eat them?

Is he having any problem defecating?

Have you seen any of the other plastic in his feces?

How is he acting?

Is he eating/drinking normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know when he ate them. I noticed they were coming out of his rectum when I got home from work. He is having trouble defecating right now. He is acting kind of lethargic but did eat and drink and has not vomited. I have not seen anything else in his feces.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since he's having problems defecating, we have to be concerned with the possibility of an obstruction.

This is what happens when the dog eats something too big, too bulky, or too long to make it through the digestive tract and gets hung up somewhere. The fact that your boy does have some of the plastic sticking out of his bum and is both lethargic and is having problems defecating, the worry is high that we're dealing with something like that.

I absolutely, positively have to recommend that you have him seen by a vet tonight. If there's an emergency vet in your area, I would suggest going there. If you're not sure if there's an e-vet in your area, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

If there's no emergency vet in your area, then you can continue to monitor him until morning, and then give your own vet a call and have them see him. He does sound like he's relatively stable, so if you'd like to wait to see your own vet, that's acceptable, but keep in mind that if he takes a turn for the worse, then you'll need to have him seen at the emergency vet.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Teresa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cole. How is everything going?
Lisa