Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have small poodle 11 years old. When born it was dark and

Customer Question

I have small poodle 11 years old. When born it was dark brown and 1 year lather turn into gray. (I do not know if this important). He had 2 major surgery as younger dog. Knee cap orthopedic surgery and fat tumor under front right leg. He was positively
tested for allergy and for 2 year I was giving him injections. Now he does not have allergy. Now new problem and my question. In December last year he was diagnosed with cancer in anal glands. He went under surgery and they removed only gland on left hand
side. After recovery He went chemotherapy treatment. The Chemotherapy killed his pancreas causing pancreatitis and diabetics. He was in emergency and hospitalized 3 times due to high blood sugar. Two times with blood sugar of 2000 and one time with blood sugar
of the chart (not able to measure). High blood sugar causes blindness and he is now totally blind. All this treatment cost over $17000 and I have now dog with almost no hear, blind, half of the weight and still with a cancer. I took him of the chemotherapy
and take him now to different diagnostic center for high blood sugar monitoring and prescription for Insulin. I am treating his cancer with The Budwig Diet (using Organic Flaxseed Oil combined with Organic Low Fat Cottage Cheese) and also with Marijuana Oil.
Read More http://www.cancertutor.com/budwig/ Due to high blood sugar my dog cannot go for eye surgery or any other surgery. He does not want to eat prescription food. He cannot eat fat nor carbohydrate and he eat only boiled meat. Now he has enough of the
boiled meat and he refuse to eat meat. We are also giving him medication for increasing appetite. He is so slim, only skin and bones but still very active. He consume huge amount of water and urinate a lot. Question: How can I make him gain weight without
fat (fat cause bad diarrhea even with medication) and carbohydrate (diabetic, Uses 6 units of Insulin 2 times a day)?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about all of Suede's problems. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Is his blood sugar controlled, less than 200 or so, on the 6 units of insulin twice daily? He will not gain weight, no matter what he eats, if his blood sugar is not under control.

If he cannot eat fat or carbohydrates, that only leaves protein and fiber. Fiber can help control his blood sugar, but will not encourage weight gain. Is he on a high protein, low carbohydrate, low fat diet such as Evo, or Royal Canin Diabetic Diet or a lowfat grain free diet? What is he eating now?

The other alternative would be to cook for him: peas, lean meat and fish, low fat dairy products (if he is not lactose intolerant).

He may be metabolically unable to put weight on, with his problems. If his blood sugar is uncontrolled, over 400, he can't gain weight no matter what he eats.

If his pancreas is not making the enzymes needed to use the food he eats, you might consider adding pancreatic enzymes like Pancreazyme, or feeding him fresh frozen pancreas from a butcher.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Is Suede neutered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He eats boiled meet: Chicken breast, Ahi tuna and lean beef. Last Thursday at Veterinary Diagnostic Center he had blood sugar 675. I cannot measure his blood sugar. I cannot get enough blood from him for glucose meter to work. He is going tomorrow to hospital for glucose panel and I will let you know results. Prescribed food for him is low fat Royal Canin But he does not want to eat that, and because he is so slim we can not let him stay hungry.
Best Regards
Branko
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like a good diet for him, but it won't help him gain weight until his blood sugar is better under control.

I would ask your vets about supplementing with pancreatic enzymes as well. If he had pancreatitis, adding enzymes he may be lacking might help him absorb what he eats.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can answer or help with?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Suede today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rebecca,
Suede is in a Hospital for Glucose panel. His blood sugar was 568 when they measured I a morning. This is 1/2 hour after he ate and has Insulin injection. I am going to pick him out in about half hour. I will send you message about what I hear from Doctor and then we can close this chapter.
Thank you for help
Branko
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update; let me know what you find out.