Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have 2 Alsatians at home female and male. My friend bought

Customer Question

Hi I have 2 Alsatians at home female and male. My friend bought a Staffy pup male last year and because she worked the Staffy came and played at my house from a pup with my 2 Alsatians who at first were wary of him but then they got on and played beautifully for about 6months
She then got help and didn't need her Staffy to come here anymore during the day.
She is now immigrating and I want to adopt her Staffy and look after him.
Will my dogs remember him and accept him back here.
will they get on?
Look forward to your response :)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
The problems you might have is that the dogs are now different ages then they were then. Dogs are pack animals and there is an alpha female and alpha male in any group of dogs. Adult dogs get along pretty well with puppies, but as puppies mature into adults, the elders teach the pup how to interact with adult dogs including how to approach the alpha dogs and what is acceptable and what is not. So the dogs got along well but the Staffy was not an adult when he stopped coming over.
Now the Staffy is likely to be a full blown adult male who is used to being the boss of his house. In addition, your male is the boss of your house and may not appreciate another male coming into his territory. Now if the Staffy is neutered and your dog is not, that might make it easier for them to adjust to the change since the Staffy would clearly be a lower ranking member due to being neutered. You might get him neutered to make integration into your pack easier if he isn't already fixed.
If both dogs are intact, there is the chance you will have dominance fighting occur especially if the dogs have not had much obedience training. You will want to be sure you reintroduce them to one another on neutral territory like a nearby park. This allows them to sniff and play without the need of worrying about who is on whose territory. I'd do this a few times before having him come to your house. Slow and steady positive interaction will work best to get him integrated into your own pack.
This is about the only way you can really get a good idea of whether they can get along or not.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.