Dr. Sandra Snyder
Dr. Sandra Snyder, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Vet for 16 years- Canine medicine & surgery Past Director on Arizona Veterinary Medical Assoc. Board
20956040

In a pinch, is it ok lab to take human thyroid medication. I

Customer Question

In a pinch, is it ok for a lab to take human thyroid medication. I accidentally spilled hers in the kitchen sink
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel my question, your website is deceiving
Expert:  Dr. Sandra Snyder replied 1 year ago.

it is always a good idea to stick with medication prescribed for the individual. A dog can easily skip a day or so without their thyroid medication and will not have any bad effects.

In most cases dogs take Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism, and they often take much higher doses than people. in theory, if the medication is exactly the same, it would be OK. However I advise you to wait until you can get a refill of your dog's medication. A few days won't matter.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Sandra Snyder