Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
I am sorry to hear that your dog just ate rat poison.
The first thing you want to do is induce vomiting. This is done by giving hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs you can mix this with a little milk to help get it in her. Once you give this walk her around or gently shake her stomach to mix this up. If vomiting does not occur in 10 minutes then you can give this dose one more time.
Even after inducing vomiting this does require immediate vet care. Depending on the active ingredient rat poison either destroys the clotting factor in the blood causing internal bleeding or causes swelling in the brain. The vet will administer activated charcoal to help stop any further absorption of the poison and if as I suspect this is the type of poison that effects the clotting factor they will need to put her on prescription strength Vit K1. This is not the Vit K that you can by at the store.
I would induce vomiting first and then get her in to your local animal ER. They may want to keep her for the night to monitor her. If you do not know where your local animal ER is then please give me your zip code and I will be happy to look for the one closest to you.
Unfortunately even after inducing vomiting this is not something that we wait on and immediate medical care is needed to provide the best chance of recovery.
Please keep me posted on how things are going and let me know if you need help finding an ER