Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog has a wound I just noticed today where she has had a

Customer Question

Hi Jane, my dog has a wound I just noticed today where she has had a benign? Tumor that she has had for several years so i didn't notice the swelling. today it black and purple and then it opened and there is one hole with white webbing underneath and several more black spots. I am assuming she needs surgery asap to halt the dying of the tissues. Will she be ok overnight? I was wondering how fast the progress is with these things. not sure if it is an infection or asscoiates with the tumor and something even more serious. it seems pretty serious in any case. It smells horrible. Thanks, lee
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't realize the lag in response time. it is night time here. of course within 24 hours she will be in surgery anyway.oh well it was just 19.00. hopefully i haven't inadvertently signed up for some monthly thing. I'll have to keep an eye on my credit card! ugh!
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
I'm sorry I wasn't up when your question came in. It sounds like she has a cyst that has become infected and burst. I've had some growths removed as it sounds like you plan on having done. In other cases, a drain is placed to help with infection and antibiotics given until the infection is gone.
Warm compresses can help, so you did a good job, it sounds like. A mild betadine solution can be used to flush the wound. I wouldn't use peroxide. Your vet will likely want to remove it.
I do understand if you no longer need help, but please let me know how she does. If you did find this helpful, let me know.