Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my dog broke the cardlidge in her nose... I believe

Customer Question

Hi, I think my dog broke the cardlidge in her nose... I believe she ran into a brick wall face first because her nostrils are scraped...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about Well's painful situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Any swelling along the nose?
Does she seem painful when you are manipulating the nose (which we don't want to do since we could move the bone here out of alignment)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As of last night (right after it happened), no swelling.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
And can you confirm that you are referring to her nose (at the end of her muzzle with the nostrils) and not her elongated muzzle itself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
top of the nose about an inch towards eyes, after the nose pad were the card lid ge and scull bone meet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now since it sounds like we are discussing the muzzle/bridge of the nose, then it is important to know that this is not cartilaginous like ours is. Their nasal passages are made of bone, so with a hard impact they can break. And that is what you are feeling with that crunching.
Now generally speaking subtle breaks here tend to be well held by the soft tissues and underlying sinuses and don't tend to move much (like a fractured arm would) but still need 4-6 weeks to heal. That said, of course, we do sometimes see fractures that won't align with the rest of the bone and need surgical intervention. And this is a wee bit of a concern if she also had a oral bleed since we cannot really assess the mouth based part of this without an xray.
And that would actually be our next step here. In cases of nasal fractures, we tend to xray to assess the damage. If it is poorly aligned or the fracture severe, then again these tend to need surgery. But if aligned and will hold itself, then pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc) and rest (avoiding tug of war, ball games, soft foods etc) would be indicated for those 6 weeks to allow healing.
Overall, this area is not made of cartilage. Therefore, if it crunches, she has likely broken the bone. So, we'd want to have an xray in Wella's case to see how badly she has damaged herself and whether she can heal it on her own.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was only bleeding on her nose pads from getting scraped.
I will keep an eye on her and take her in later today.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
The nose pad bleed isn't a worry since that will be related to direct contact with what she ran into. I was referring to your mention of a gum bleed. But if that wasn't severe, then that may be no worry either. Otherwise, that sounds like a good plan of action for Wella.
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.