Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My dachshund has puffiness under her right eye. It starts at

Customer Question

My dachshund has puffiness under her right eye. It starts at the inside corner. She seems fine otherwise.... she is eating and drinking normally and doesn't seem bothered if I touch around her eye. Any ideas what this night be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Can you tell me how extensive the swelling is? Does it extend to the side of the face? Can you attach a picture?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its only slight and now that I'm trying to take a pic, it appears to have gone down some. It's really hard to tell in this picture, but it doesn't go down into the side of her face.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** was helpful. I think it might be a tooth root abscess (localized infection within the bone). This happens often when a tooth is broken (such as with chewing on something hard, like a bone) and infection gets into the middle of the tooth (pulp chamber) and then into the bone socket that supports the tooth. It's painful, but dogs are very good at hiding signs of pain and so you may not be able to tell. I would encourage you to take her to your vet tomorrow morning and have her evaluated. If this is a tooth root abscess, antibiotics alone won't help, the tooth will either need to be extracted or have a root canal done.

Hope this helps!