Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My baby just had two puppies there's suppose to be 4or 5

Customer Question

My baby just had two puppies there's suppose to be 4or 5 looks like placenta not totally out of uvula and it's been an hour since last birth first two came minutes apart is this ok
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
babies have not started nursing when should I be concerned
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
HiCustomer
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Puppies can be born 5 minutes apart up to an hour apart. The uterus is Y shaped with the pups in the upper portion. Pups from one horn are born first and then the other. Often there will be an hour gap between the two sides delivering. So that doesn't concern me too much as long as she isn't straining to deliver a pup that whole time.
You definitely want to put the pups on her nipples and try to get them to nurse. The nursing will strengthen her contractions as well so that is an added benefit.
Usually the placentas are delivered pretty quickly behind the pup or along with the pup and mom ingests it before you even see it. So if you are seeing what looks like a sac or placenta, that might indicate a stuck pup. It is hard to determine.
Sometimes puppies are too large to be born and get stuck. They can also experience uterine intertia and you need a visit to determine if a shot to restart labor is needed.
If there is much more than an hour between pups, it is safest to have her seen at that point. It is possible for a mother to not deliver all her pups. Usually when a pup is retained, a dog does not act normal. They may appear restless, distressed, actively straining, lethargic, non-interested in their pups.
Here is a site on this information.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dystocia-difficult-birth-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1628&articleid=899
I would start with getting at least one or both pups to nurse. That might give her the boost to restart labor and get the next pup delivered. However, if she doesn't start delivering pups soon, then she'll need to be seen.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.